Friday 17 August 2012

Project 41: Bakewell tart cupcakes


One of my favorite English treats is a cherry and almond flavored tart called a bakewell. I don't think we use enough almond in American cakes and desserts and this is one that my husband I used to buy as a snack when we were students. That's right, we snacked on whole tarts. Because we were classy like that.

Anyway, I found this recipe to take the classic flavors and make them a bit lighter into cakes. To get the cherry filling, you add a dollop of thick jam in the middle of the cupcakes. The recipe's comments section said the filling sunk to the bottom so I made sure to make the base as covered as possible and tried to keep the jam in an even layer in the middle. But I wasn't that picky really as you can see:

 


 When they bake they looked like regular cupcakes. I then glazed them in a simple powder sugar icing (incidentally they call it icing sugar here in the UK) and topped them with a cherry. I made them shabby chic, which means I didn't have enough icing and couldn't be asked to make more so this is an intentional look.


I can't wait to tuck in, I'm being good and waiting for company to share them...I should have made 13 so I could sneak one without being obvious.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment, it's always appreciated