Tuesday 26 May 2015

Project 223: An autumnal woodland critter birthday

I got a great brief from a colleague to make a birthday card featuring woodland creatures in golds and oranges. She pointed to two specific images on my blog that she liked and unfortunately they were both using materials I no longer have/have access to.*

But that didn't stop me - I knew I could make something that would work to the brief. 

I found these puffy stamps from my stash - Claire sent them to me a while ago and from what I can see they were a billy bargain! - and as she specifically called out foxes, hedgehogs and squirrels being the recipient's favourite animals I thought I'd go for these lovely orange stickers. I usually don't work with stickers like this; it feels a bit like cheating. But I thought if I put enough craft into the other elements it would balance my fear of taking a shortcut.

As there were three animals I went for the Sketch Saturday layout this week:


I embossed the brown paper with a diamond pattern (reminded me of a beaver's tail) and layered this on shiny gold paper, followed by navy to make it pop. The backing paper is slightly textured, it's a gorgeous Recollections Trader Jane paper. The orange paper is punched using an EK Success punch and the banner is stamped with a Fiskars greeting.  I added two spotted brown candies on the bottom to finish it off.

I really like the autumnal feel and the cuteness of the images. I still feel a bit like it is cheating but it is true to brief so I'm happy with it!


*Yes Claire. I'm referencing the  lack of access to your stash.  It's sad times not being able to rifle through your things, stealing/borrowing things to my heart's content. :*(

3 comments:

  1. I'd get over that feeling of cheating right quick if I were you as this is just awesome! I know what you mean about using stickers - but really I think these work beautifully here. Great colors too. Thanks for joining us at Sketch Saturday this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this is a fab design Jessie! I love the colours, textures and fab layout… the little woodland animals are so sweet!! everything has come together beautifully on this card! :-)
    Hope you have a great weekend!
    Big hugs, Sue B xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is amazing! I love how you have used those stickers..I knew you'd love them. I think taking a shortcut can be fun sometimes. Cx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment, it's always appreciated